- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup corn flour sifted 4 times
- 2 cups self-raising flour sifted 4 times
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 180°C.
- Line two 20cm cake pans with baking paper.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until thick, glossy, and tripled in volume, 10 minutes.
- Gradually add the flours to the egg mixture simultaneously folding with a large metal spoon until just combined
- Divide mixture between prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cakes have shrunk away from the sides slightly and spring back when gently touched.
- Place on wire racks, carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool.