- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk extra for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and a generous pinch of salt.
- Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips.
- Add the milk and stir it in with a butter knife. The dough should be fairly soft, but not too sticky.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and shape into a soft smooth ball.
- Cut a cross shape into the top of the damper and brush with a little milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.