- 3 mandarins
- 6 regular eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups almond meal
- Place the whole mandarins into a saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, careful not to let the water evaporate.
- Cool completely before splitting open to remove the seeds.
- Using a hand-held blender, purée.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Line a 22cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on a medium high speed for 8 minutes or until the mixture is thick, pale and tripled in volume.
- Add the purée and almond meal and fold gently with a large metal spoon until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.